Bittersweet

Yesterday we got word that Adrianna's best friend is moving away... which also means that one of my best friends is moving away.

Adrianna and Will. You might not think that two three-and-a-half year olds would know how to be good friends. But when they are each other's first friends, maybe they know some things we adults forget. They have an understanding beyond words -- indeed they were friends before they had any words. When they go places, the first thing they do is look to see if the other is there. They thank God for each other at night before going to sleep. They look out for each other, and make sure others do, too. "No, Ella, Adrianna was playing with that first," Will will say. And they fight like siblings. But they never carry a grudge.





This will surely be a lesson in love and loss... not only for Adrianna, but also for me. Moving to NM almost five years ago, I made a choice. I decided that if I was going to have true friends in life, I would have to let others know the true me. After my school and college friends, I realized I didn't have any true friends in adulthood. I felt lonely. And it was because I hadn't been letting anyone in to know who I was. And so, we moved here, I was truly alone (except for loving family), and I decided that I would trust people enough to let them in. Then I prayed for friends.

Within a year, I met my dear friend Jennifer. And I tried out this choice I had made. I let her in; I trusted her. And she didn't let me down. In fact, she taught me so many things about being a friend; I hope I remember these kind actions with her and other friends in the future. I feel so blessed by her friendship that I know wherever we are (whether fifteen miles away or 1500 miles away), we will continue being friends.

By getting connected at church and by friends introducing friends, I've gotten to know several ladies over the last few years. I'm still learning how to let people know me, and how to know other people, and let them feel known. And so, when Jennifer leaves, I won't be all alone, but I will miss the delights that proximity to a friend permits.

A bittersweet goodbye. I know you're being blessed with the desires of your heart, and I know you're leaving a bit of your heart behind.

Best wishes, dear friend. Go with God, and delight in the gifts He has so mightily blessed you with. You will be missed.

Comments

Wow! As the tears flow down my face, I am filled with sadness for you. I know deeply how true kindred spirits are hard to find.

For her friendship I am so thankful, and for your ability to recognize that friendship you are capable of too, (something that I have known for 29 years), I am equally thankful for.

She will be a special part of your life even after she moves away. Friends like Jennifer will be with you forever. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies