Ugandan Trip Journal, May 11, 2013

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Early in the day, I got to Skype Scott as my father-in-law drove him home from the airport.  What a blessing to see him on the other side.  It was close to midnight there, and I'd had two nights of sleep while he traveled home.  Whew, that's a long journey.

We also heard that Ivan, our paperwork man, had been back to the passport office to check on our children's passports, and they hoped that they would be ready Monday.  That was hopeful news for keeping our timeframe here. 

Rashid's wife, Joy, invited the three families to her house for a traditional Ugandan lunch.  Joy took Mike and Melissa to the store so that Mike could get the supplies to make chicken enchiladas, so Joy and Rashid would have a taste of our traditional food, as well.

In the meantime, Lisa and I waited at the guest house with our kids.  Lisa and I are getting lots of down time here.  In many ways, the rest time is a blessing, because our children play together so sweetly, and it is a gentle way to transition them from the orphanage into our care.  It is also a blessing, because for the first time in ages, I'm not doing any cooking, cleaning, laundry.  I am completely taken care of, and my only focus is caring for W--.  Because I'm not expending time and energy on all of the other necessities that I need to do at home, I have all those energies to concentrate on this little guy getting to know me and in earning his trust.  When he does tantrum, I have the resources I need to handle it, because I haven't used them up on chores and tight schedules.  In some ways, though, it is difficult having so much time on our hands, being away from our loved ones and unable to go out on our own.  But we keep talking about how this time is flying by, and we know we will soon be back in the U.S., pining for our time in Africa. 
 
The meal at Joy's was delicious in such a pleasant, casual, authentic way.  Matoke is a Ugandan specialty, which are mashed green bananas, served with a peanut sauce.  The flavors are not strong, but the texture is pleasant, and there is just enough flavor to tantalize the taste buds.  We were also treated to  a pumpkin steamed in banana leaves, with chicken and vegetables roasted inside.  To eat, you simply tear off part of the gourd, and drizzle with the peanut sauce.  Amazing.
 
W-- enjoyed playing with the giant car at Joy's house, much like the ancient Power Wheels Jeep we have at home.  This one was not powered anymore, but he loved pushing it around the living room as the adults talked.  He became quite defensive when the other children wanted to have a part in his game.  If he and Abel can come to terms sharing the Jeep at our house, they will be fast friends for certain.   































W--'s tantrums are becoming fewer and farther between.  When he does become resistant to directives (brushing teeth, going potty...), it is now for just a few minutes, rather than the 45 minutes we started out with two weeks ago.  And most times, when I tell him it's time for bed/nap, he comes over and curls up in my arms. 

God has been so sweet in the transition, and I am so grateful.  I've also been blessed to be able to carry W-- around, twirl him, throw him in the air.  These things were completely off-limits to my ailing back only four months ago.  I continue to marvel at His gracious healing.  Thank You, Father.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies