Ugandan Trip Journal, May 10, 2013

Friday, May 10, 2013

Scott's first day gone, and W-- and I were woken at 6:00 a.m. by the enthusiastic singing in the seminar above us.  W-- asked to go to the bathroom, and I feared that that was it for his sleeping.  Thankfully, I tried setting him back in bed, and he just whimpered for a few minutes before returning to sleep.  Whew.

Later, W-- and I headed out to eat breakfast with Lisa and her daughter.  I thought it might be nice to make tea with a little ginger, like the Ugandans do.  Apparently I momentarily forgot that the only other time I had tea with ginger, I lost my breakfast.  I drank a few sips, and realized that it was not sitting well.  I tried finishing breakfast, and then convinced W-- to come into our room.  I grabbed a plastic trash bag in time, as W-- laughed at my sickness, not knowing what it was.

I collapsed on our couch afterwards, wondering how I was going to conquer this single parenting thing.  I showed W-- a few minutes of Jack's Big Music Show, and then heard a knock at the door.  Lisa wanted to know if W-- wanted to play ball with them.  We came out of our room, and thankfully, I was feeling significantly better.

A while later, Lisa, Melissa, and I decided to ask Joy (Rashid's wife) if she might be able to take us shopping.  Melissa ran next door to ask her.  Lisa and I gave the kids snacks, and then Melissa's daughter felt like she was in trouble, so she started to leave out the front door to find her mom.  Keeping an almost five year old from leaving for the next house might seem an easy task.  However, she got half way to Joy's before I, carrying W--, and running in my bare feet could stop her.  And when I did overtake her, she made herself like lead in resisting me.  I had to carry her 'sack of potatoes' body up the stairs, and bodily restrain her while I got my shoes on to head back to Joy's for her mom.

It turned out that Joy's sister-in-law went into labor and Joy was trying to arrange transportation to see her.   Not the best time to take us shopping.  

Lisa and I decided to stick around the guest house, while Melissa went with Joy to the hospital. We later heard the adventures of going into labor in the free hospital, where you have to bring your own bed linens, foods, even cotton, and where you family has to camp outside your room until you are finished.

W-- and Lisa's daughter played beautifully together for much of the day.  Lisa's daughter had us be her patients in her health clinic and her pupils in school.  We enjoyed her imaginative play immensely.  We marvel each day at how these children, even W--, stay so entertained with so little for so long.  The kids' favorite toy has been a couple of boxes of dominoes, which they turn into puzzles, buildings, roads.  W-- will play with them for over an hour, time and time again, just sitting on my lap at the table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies