Disappointment and resolution

Last week, Scott was gone on a recruiting trip.  He left Monday and planned to return Wednesday night.  It was my first three days alone caring for two kids -- a scary prospect for me!  As evening seems to be the hardest time for me when taking care of the kids by myself (probably because that's when I'm used to having Scott's help), I invited my in-laws over for dinner on Monday and Tuesday.  Having the companionship for dinner and their help reading to the kids before bed made things go a little smoother (and definitely less lonely!). 

My light at the end of the tunnel of Scott's business trip was that on Friday, he planned to take me on an over-night get-away for my birthday.

On Wednesday, the day I had hoped for Scott's return, he let me know that the highways near him were all closed due to below freezing temperatures, gas/power outages, and inadequate snow removal equipment.  And so, he was stuck on a trip with nothing to do, while I was stuck at home with too much to do!  Boy, was I grateful to accept my in-laws' dinner invitation that night.

By Thursday, the highways were opened for Scott, and he made his way back to work safely by that afternoon.  It was wonderful to get help with the kids that night, but poor Scott had a nasty tummy bug trying to take him down.  By God's grace, the bug that started working on him Monday had held off until he made it home on Thursday evening.  But then it ravaged his body with a vengeance.

And so, as the day dawned on Friday -- the day that kept me going through the week -- Scott decided he was too sick to go on the get-away.  I wiped away a few tears, and sucked up the disappointment.  I know, truly, life has many more disappointing things than missing a get-away evening with my husband.  But for me, on that day, after that week, it was disappointing.

By Saturday, Scott felt a little bit better, and ventured to have his parents watch Adrianna and Abel so that we could have a get-away day.  It wasn't quite the same, but we were grateful for a little time to reconnect and relax.  While Scott rested in the car, I used my birthday money to get a salon hair cut.

The funny thing was, at Christmastime, I went to that salon, and the stylist had a vision for letting my hair grow out.  This time, that stylist was gone, and another stylist had a vision for cutting my hair all off.  I gathered my courage, and let her do it!
Scott and I returned home that evening, and made hurried preparations for Sunday School the next morning.

Comments

Evan said…
I Love your hair!! I'm growing my heavy, heavy hair out and want to chop it all soooo bad but Kurt is my will power to let it grow. We'll see if I make through the first couple weeks of hot summer! Such a pretty picture of you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies