Sweet sleep

As so many wise parents before us have said, the difference from parenting one child to two is not double the responsibility; it's exponential growth!  (And kudos to the wonderful parents I know with even more than two kids.)  So when my friends and acquaintances ask how our transition is going, I say, "Well, our boy is wearing me out, so I guess that's a sign that he's healthy!"  

I have had some days and moments that I regret, where the laundry, cleaning, dishes, and cooking feel so never-ending that I am unkind with the ones who made them necessary.  Every morning, I've been praying for the grace to love the three blessings that are my family members as the gifts that they are.

For most of my life, I have struggled to sleep well.  Now that I need energy to keep up with two precious children, sleep has become ever more necessary.  On normal nights, I am aware of tossing and turning, and being awake at least a dozen times throughout the night.  And then when I try to wake before the kids to do my Bible study, I am groggy, to put it mildly.  Every morning is a fight just to kick myself out of bed.  Over the last several months, I have tried several homeopathic formulas to help in my battle for a good night's sleep.  I've tried Hyland's sleep tablets, melatonin, and a sleep aid from a local farmer's market vendor.  The first one helps me through the first half of the night, but not the second.  With the latter two, I sleep soundly throughout the night, and then feel the effects of the ingredients making me groggy through the next day.  At least I know I am not alone in my dilemma.  My mother and sister have fought the same battle for years, as well. 

In some future posts, I want to include the pictures of the fun our family has had over the last several weeks.  But, as you see the smiles and I write the cute quips from my kids, I want to lay it all out.  We're having a sweet journey with two kids, but I am tired (as are so many moms!), and I want to be real.  :)  (Thanks, Christy!) 

Comments

Christy. said…
I am with you! Kids are wonderful blessing but oh how they wear us out. Then there is the whole laundry, house, meals, errands...
I will be praying that you can get sleep, lack of sleep affects us all so much. I haven't slept well since my surgery and so I feel your pain there!
Adjustment is a challenge! Hang in there! 4 kids is exhausting right now but thankfully I feel like we have made some real progress in the past two weeks with Bereket, it was just in time because the discouragement was really starting to take over!
Let me know if you ever want to talk anything through, sometimes it helps to know that someone is going through it too!! :)
:) Ahh yes!!! I feel your pain!!!

It is amazing what a good night's sleep can do too!! I am really bracing myself for middle of the night feedings again in a few weeks! However, since I am already up at least 3 times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, perhaps I am ready now. :) Gotta love it!

Hang in there! It does get easier and when you will find a rhythm things seem to get done a tiny bit easier..note the "tiny" part!! :)
One more thing! You are so amazing! Know that as you do put God 1st each morning, it would be so much harder of a day than if you had not. :)

Keep up the awesome work!
J.E.Oppenheim said…
You KNOW I feel your pain, dear Marianne. The only melatonin that doesn't leave me feeling hung-over is the Trader Joe's. For me, that works for the falling asleep and early part of the night. Is that the one you've tried? The Hyland Nux Vomix (I think that's the name), which is also for stomach issues, is recommended for the 3AM wake ups on its literature, and has helped for the later part of the night. Of course, right now, I'm using Trazedone to fall asleep and half an Ambien when I wake up. Then the other half if I wake up again. The thing that works the best is AmbienCR, but it doesn't come off patent until 2020!
Sherri said…
I'll be praying for your sleep too! I know how frustrating not sleeping is once in a while is, I can't imagine it constantly.

The other day my husband came home... his parents were coming to stay the next day and all I could muster the whole day (besides doing school, meals, laundry, caretaking etc etc etc!) was clearing one small portion of the counter. I told him, "I have no idea what to do." Thankfully God saved me and my mom and aunt came to help the next day. Lord have mercy on all of us!

PS - Your kids are looking so happy and cute! I am always amazed at how happy my kids are even when I am so frazzled :)

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies