Craft time

When Adrianna was Abel's age, we did all kinds of crafts together.  Crafts were a way I enjoyed playing with her, and she really seemed to enjoy them, too.  Now with two kids, and with a boy who would rather run his dump truck up and down the hallways than sit with a craft, it seems a little harder to get him interested in crafts.  From what I have heard from other mothers of boys, I am not alone in this!

In the three months he has been home, we have tried play dough twice, with mixed success.  (There has been much eating of it!)
And we're tried finger painting once, with fair success.
I think next up should be finger painting with pudding.  :)  As a teacher and friend, I've always recommended that idea to parents, but have not yet jumped into that level of messy craft!

If you wonder why I am even bothering with crafts with a boy who would rather be actively playing, it is because I see the inherent value in them.  Building creativity, strengthening dexterity and fine motor skills, increasing attention span... All are beautiful benefits of kids doing crafts.  (Besides, I like doing them with the kids!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies