Celebrating life

My sweet girl turned five last week.  Seems like such a milestone.  And yes, when I was giving birth to her, I did realize that she was born on the Kindergarten cut-off.  Adrianna missed going to Kindergarten this year by a matter of hours.  And that's okay with me.  Adrianna and Abel are getting great bonding time, and I get to have my girl home with me for one more year.

I think it was in Adrianna's Clubhouse Jr. Magazine that I saw an article with parents giving their ideas for how to make birthdays more meaningful and less self-centered.  So before Adrianna's party this year, I asked her if she might consider telling her friends that they didn't need to bring presents for her, but could bring contributions to send a present to our sponsored child in Ethiopia.  Adrianna loved the idea.  We put that information in the invitation, and were amazed at how families responded.

We celebrated Adrianna's life with a party at a local preschool that rents out its space on weekends.  Some families still gave Adrianna creative, small presents in addition to the donations (one friend laced a bookmark for her, another friend's mom sewed her a traveling crayon roll).  And the friends brought enough donations to give our sponsored child several presents!


Comments

Happy Birthday, precious girl!!! We love you!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies