New kid experiment, part 7

First, thank you all for your feedback on the "parenting series" I have been recording.  It has been fun hearing other parents' challenges during the course of our parenting changes.

I wanted to record tonight's episode with Adrianna, so that I am sure not to forget it.  I suppose it started at 5:05 this morning.  Adrianna called out, "Mom, Dad, my water bottle is empty."  Scott went in to check on her, and said her space heater was turned up too high, and her room was very warm.  He was fairly certain that was the reason for her early waking.  The poor girl could not get back to sleep after that, but talked and read books until 7:00, when I went in to get her.

I expected that our babysitting morning together at CBS was going to be rocky because of Adrianna's lack of sleep.  To my surprised joy, she behaved wonderfully there.  Later, I expressed to Scott my wondering.  Is she behaving better in group settings (CBS, play group, etc.) because of the other changes we have made with her?

Surprisingly, Adrianna held herself together beautifully until even after dinner time.  By eating enough dinner, she earned herself a little bowl of ice cream.  I asked her to get on her pajamas while Scott dished it up for her.  (Interesting how many of these little battles come over pajamas...)  She ran to get them, so that she could put them on near us.  She brought them back; however, she could not seem to focus enough over the next 20 minutes to put them on.  During that time, she managed to peal her other clothes off a little at a time, but then twirled around the family room, dancing, singing, playing with her sit-n-spin.  She even watched Scott come over, eat his bowl of ice cream in front of her, and then leave to wash his bowl.

Scott and I just kept shaking our heads in astonishment.  She really could not focus enough to get her pajamas on, even with an ice cream incentive?  She was also taking so long that she was cutting into her bedtime story time.  Scott and I finally decided to put her bowl of ice cream away.  I put Adrianna's pajamas over her head, without a word.  (Not sure what Dr. Leman would do here.)  She completed getting dressed by herself.

Here is the part that amazed me...  "Mom, do I still get my ice cream now?"

***  Do do dooo ***  (Trumpet playing)  Our child got it!  Without us saying a word, she understood that she had not been obedient about her pajamas and she already knew that she missed out on her privilege.

"No, you do not get ice cream now.  You did not put on your pajamas when we asked."  A little sadness, and then, "Maybe I could have some tomorrow?"  "Yes, maybe."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies