What next?

A common question to Scott and me lately about our adoption: "What's next?" Well... I could answer with the thousand details we need to take care of before leaving the country and the endless odds and ends that come from making a family of three into a family of four... But, the short answer is: "Our court date."

Six to eight weeks after our referral (which was already three weeks ago!), our case is assigned to the Ethiopian court. Our agency will inform us of the date, and then we wait. Everything is entirely out of our hands after that. Because there are so many pieces that need to come together to "pass court," many times families do not pass the first time. A few days ago, I saw another adopting family's blog that said they had to wait for four court dates before they finally passed. At the day of court, our agency's Ethiopian representative goes before the court for us, and if all the paperwork is complete, and all the necessary people are present, our son officially becomes ours. Needless to say, that is a BIG day.

And needless to say, the sooner we pass court, the sooner we get to pick up our precious child. Another benefit of passing court is that we are allowed to share his pictures online. As soon as we pass, I plan to post pictures on here. :)

Some blessed families from our agency, who got their referrals at the beginning of January (just three weeks before we did), were amazed last week. They did not know their court dates were even happening. They were simply called and surprised that they passed court, without having to worry and fret about when it was going to be or whether or not they would pass the first time! While I am anticipating hearing when our court date is, if they want to surprise me like that too, I think that would be okay!

This update would not be complete without a reference to the waiting. For me, the waiting before we knew who our child was felt harder and more desperate. The waiting now is at least in hopeful anticipation. Now I know who my little one is. I know his approximate size. I know his birthday! I know who it is that I am waiting for. For me, that is easier than just knowing I am waiting for the unknown. (I guess that is something like waiting for Jesus' return. When we know Who we wait for, we can wait in hope.)

But, it is also very hard. I long to hug him. I long to wipe away his tears. I long to play with him and watch Adrianna share the world with him. We have his picture in several rooms in our house. I like to peak at him throughout each day. But I cannot let myself dwell on him too long... Or the longing to bring him home becomes too intense.

A blessing for us is that families with our agency who are currently traveling to pick up their children are allowed to take pictures of our son for us. Next week and a few weeks after that, we hope to receive current pictures of our boy. :)

And with one of those families, we are sending a care package that they will give to him for us. We're sending a stuffed doggy for him to hug and a picture of us holding his picture. At least it is a little something we can do while we wait.

Comments

Unknown said…
I can't even imagine! It was hard enough waiting for the call to be told my niece was born. I remember waiting to hear the twins were born too . . . . but anticipating holding your own child. :)

So proud of you and your family, so proud to say you are family and friends! I cant wait to meet him!
P told me this morning that he wants your sweet baby to be at his birthday party. P talks about him ALL the time and tells other people about him too! :) It makes my heart melt!
Fishy_Fam said…
We have his picture on the fridge and Olivia asked who was tucking him in at night, since "Auntie Em and Adrianna" couldn't be there. We are excitedly waiting with you in expectation of his arrival!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies