The obligatory bead

Well, I guess my child had to go through her rite of passage. Yesterday, I was at a coffee shop, meeting with a friend. We were just finishing up, when Adrianna, who had been calmly beading a necklace the whole hour we were there, started screaming. My friend looked at her, and asked, "Oh, did you put one of those beads in your nose?!" Through her screams, Adrianna nodded.

I tried not to turn into terrified mom, but I know I was not in my calmest state. I looked at her nose, saw no bead, and asked her to blow. She has never been an excellent blower, and tends to suck in, rather than blow out. That's what she did, and it scared me even more.

While she continued to scream, the people at the coffee shop stared, and I hurriedly gathered our belongings, told my friend that I was off to urgent care, and fled for the car.

From the car, I called Scott, and asked him to call Adrianna's pediatrician, to see if they could fit her in. He called me back, telling me that they could squeeze her in in an hour and a half. That was not my kind of time frame for the kid with the bead in her nose (who was now complaining of stomach pain). So after discussing it, he suggested that I should go to our hospital ER/urgent care, since they could either do urgent care, or if needed, ER procedures. (I hoped they would not have to do the latter!)

We walked in to the ER, told the admitting staff the issue, and thankfully, did not have to show our insurance card. I had lent my mother-in-law my insurance card the weekend Adrianna returned from Phoenix, because she went to pick up some medicine for Adrianna. I still did not have it back in my possession.

The male nurse who brought us in, and checked Adrianna's vitals was so light-hearted about the issue, that he couldn't help from laughing a couple of times. He tried to reassure us (probably me more than Adrianna!) that this was really no big deal. As he busied himself, he pulled out certain packages of tools, and had Adrianna sit in a dentist-type chair specifically suited for looking in noses. The longer I stayed, the more I suspected that this was something they did routinely!

A few minutes later, a doctor came in, announcing that he was just finishing his shift, and the next doctor would be in shortly. However, he couldn't resist taking a peak in Adrianna's nose, to see if the bead was visible. Sure enough, as he lifted the skin, we could see the bead peaking out. He told me one strategy to dislodge it, and had me perform it on Adrianna. That technique was covering her free nostril, putting my mouth over hers, and blowing as hard as I could.

After trying that twice, with no success, and a very perplexed Adrianna staring at me, the doctor said, "Let me try one more thing." Quick as a wink, he pulled out a straight tool, and popped that bead right out! Strangely enough, it fell right into her gaping mouth! I quickly snatched it up before we had another emergency, and thanked the doctor profusely. He exclaimed, "No charge!"

What a blessing! I had not yet figured out what I was going to do with no insurance card, and God more than took care of that for us!

Comments

Samantha Brynn said…
Marianne! I was sick to my stomach reading this! Ughhhh...I hope Jack never inhales something. :) So glad it worked out so well!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies