Do you trust Me?

Waiting patiently is not coming easily for me lately. I am not sure that it does for anyone, but some people seem more composed in the waiting than others do.

One of my friends who has an adopted child told me something this week. Something that made my heart long all the more to bring our child home. She told me that our social worker just finished a home study for a family a couple of months ago, and that family just brought home their baby from Ethiopia. Hmm... She completed our home study exactly one year ago. My friend also told me that our social worker was amazed that we had not brought home our child yet. Our social worker told her about a great adoption agency that is working in Ethiopia. I checked out that agency's website, and sure enough, their average time line for connecting families with their children is one year from the time the family starts the process. Hmm... we started our process 14 months ago...

Alas, my heart yearns to have our child home. The evening I found all this out, my heart about to burst with longing. And then I felt what was almost a tap on my shoulder. And my heart heard: "Do you trust Me?"

I paused, to be sure I wasn't giving a hasty answer. Yes. Yes, I trust that God knows who our child is, and is working all things together for His good. "What if it takes months?" Yes. (I hope it doesn't!) But yes, even then.

Out of His goodness, He even gave me some food for thought from His Word this week.

"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him." Psalm 37:7

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I do hope." Psalm 130:5

"Even the youths shall faith and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength." Isaiah 40:30-31

And so I wait. I wait knowing that if we are like the other families from our agency, we might be waiting until spring to bring our baby home. But I wait in hope, even if in yearning.

Comments

J.E.Oppenheim said…
Oh, Marianne,
I remember how hard it was for me, after losing Elizabeth Joy in 1974 and another baby in 1975, waiting after Julie Anne was so long overdue (her due date was October 12!) Every day was a new commitment to God, "Oh, dear, Lord, well, yes, I'm willing to wait one more day, but it's killing me!" My heart is aching for you, and I'm praying for you during this so, so painful time, knowing God has his reason, and he will sustain you. Blessings, dear girl, my precious daughter.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies