To enjoy gymnastics

Since there is now a gymnastics class that meets at our YMCA, I decided to sign Adrianna up, to see if it is a sport she might be interested in. We went for the first class a few weeks ago. Adrianna cried/screamed for most of the class. She has been very emotional about everything lately, but I think this first gymnastics class was especially hard for her, because there were many people milling around (it was a special grand opening party), balloons everywhere, loud noises, etc.

So last week, while I drove her for our second attempt at class, I could tell she was getting anxious again. I tried lightening the mood with goofy songs, but to little avail. I told her I would drop her off for the class, and go into the YMCA. I thought that if she knew I was gone, she would be able to pull herself together and have fun. She started screaming when I dropped her off. I watched through a side window, while she tried to hold on to her emotions, but kept falling into fits of screaming. I went back in, took her aside, and asked if she wanted me to watch. She said, "Yes." I said, "I can only stay if you do not scream." She took a deep breath, gathered herself, and said, "Okay." She went back to class, and sort of joined in, mostly without tears.

For the third class, I had been praying all week. Scott was able to join me, as we took her, this time to the Friday class. Because it was a Friday evening of a holiday weekend, the group was small, the room was quiet. Adrianna got a little anxious, then ran up and joined the class. My heart swelled as she worked with the instructor on the balance beam happily. And as she went to the uneven bars, showing beautiful straight legs and pointed toes, Scott and I beamed with pride. She seemed to love every minute of it. What a difference my heart felt from two weeks before, when she implied that I was torturing her with the class.

We then shared a delightful evening together, going to our Haagen Daz deli for dinner and ice cream, and onto the first high school football game of the season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies