Block party

So I've been postponing writing about this, because I was hoping to get pictures off my mother-in-law's camera to add to the post. Alas, I do not yet have the pictures, but I will write the post anyway.

Three years ago, God placed upon my heart the desire to know my neighbors better. And so, I ventured into a huge unknown, and printed up invitations to a block party we would have in our cul-de-sac. I spent the next two weeks agonizing over whether people would actually attend. I feared failure, and knew that I would take it as personal rejection. As it turned out, people actually came. My father-in-law brought his smoker, and smoked up some yummy meat, and neighbors all brought side dishes and desserts. The neighbors seemed to enjoy each other, and actually liked being at a party together.

The next year, we did the same thing, with similar results. Last year, however, we could never figure out a date that worked, and we just let the summer pass without making any plans for it. This year, the summer started passing again. I tried setting a date to reserve my father-in-law's cooking and smoker, but as it turned out, he already had other plans.

I was going to let the event pass into oblivion again, when I was praying one morning. I was praying for our neighbor, who is fighting a brain tumor, and wondering what to do for her and her family. It was laid heavily on my heart to have another block party.

And so, last Sunday afternoon, 11 of the 14 households invited (and even some extra neighbors/friends) showed up for our third block party. It just amazes me... as the time approaches, people seem to come out of the woodwork, like ants to a picnic. People bring their own chairs and folding tables, and everyone sets a casual spot in the middle of our little street. And neighbors visit, and introduce themselves, and even cry together.

And here's why I think we really needed to have one this year... Our neighbor who is fighting her tumor came in her wheel chair, with her husband, two boys, and her parents. She cannot walk right now, and is struggling with many issues, but she and her family came anyway. It was a blessing to all of us who have been praying for her to get to spend time with her, and hopefully, to brighten her day.

We even have another neighbor who was recently confined to a wheel chair because of effects of Parkinson's, and he came, zipping around in his scooter, showing his new set of wheels. Hearing of his stuggles, and learning how he and other people are really doing was such a powerful way to strengthen our neighborhood.

I should say, I don't want to post this to get kuddos for myself. This was God's event. God wanted us to come together as a community. God wanted us to know how to better pray for each other and bear one another's burdens. God brought each one of these people there, held off the rain, and opened people's hearts. Thank You, Lord.

And now I am challenged to continue investing in our neighbor's lives throughout the year... That's even harder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies