Freedom of time

Last Friday, Scott took Adrianna to Phoenix for two days and one night. Since most people do not wish to be in Phoenix in August, flights, hotels, and rental cars are all extremely affordable. But there had to be a kink in Scott's well-laid plans. When Adrianna woke up Friday morning, her eye was red and crusty. Scott and I had an inclination that pink eye was forming. Scott took a list of urgent care addresses in the Phoenix area, and set out with Adrianna for a father-daughter bonding weekend.

As the morning progressed, both of Adrianna's eyes became goopier and redder. She couldn't even open the window shade on the airplane (her favorite airplane pastime) more than part way, because the light was burning her eyes. Poor Scott and Adrianna spent what should have been their first day of being touristy at the urgent care, at Target getting medicine, and at the hotel, where Adrianna fell asleep at 5:15. I don't have any pictures to show for their time, because as Adrianna told Scott, "It's not fair to take someone's picture when their eyes are all red." (She's probably right.)

For me, on the other hand, I was at home... all alone! For a stay-at-home mom, opportunities to be at home all by oneself are a priceless treasure. I went into the two days with some things on my mental list that I knew I would enjoy doing: reading my book, watching a chick flick, working on my children's book, working out... The problem was, I almost felt stressed! There was so much I wanted to do, and only about 36 hours to do it in! I wanted to enjoy each thing I did, but every time I chose something, I thought about my dwindling time. :) Only a Type-A can stress over free time!

Well, overall, I did many of the things I wanted to do (including a little cleaning, laundry, preschool prep.). The time was peaceful. Not having to always be aware of the next meal, nap time, bedtime, etc. was a pleasant break.

And thankfully, Scott and Adrianna had a more enjoyable second day in Phoenix. They did not get to visit many of the places on their list, but they passed a leisurely time at the hotel pool and the Croc store :). Adrianna even fell asleep on Scott's shoulder at the airport -- something she has not done since she was about 6 weeks old.

We thank the Lord, that by today, Adrianna's eyes are much better. They are still very red, but with almost no goop.

Comments

WOW!! SO happy and so sad!! So thankful for you to have a few moments to just simply be. Sounds like Scott made the best of everything (he's so mazing, by the way to take her anyway!).

:) Glad she's getting better and better too!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies