Third bed's the charm?

So I might have a strange thing going about beds in Adrianna's room. Over a year ago, we let Adrianna "earn" a twin bed. She worked towards it by breaking her bad habits of making mom and dad come back to her room three and four times in the evening to take her to potty breaks, get her water, etc. She broke those habits, and earned a trundle bed (an extra that my in-laws had).

Now, it was just a metal trundle frame, with no headboard, and no extra cuteness...

Therefore, when a hand-me-down picket fence twin bed came along a few months ago, we jumped at it. It is quite a cute bed, and even has three drawers underneath. I am sure Scott and Steve were getting a little annoyed with the bed swapping, but they kept their comments to themselves.

That probably would be enough beds for most people. But I think I have a thing for furniture.

Our tiny local newspaper has little to make me look forward to reading most days. Sunday mornings are one of the few times I'm willing to even look through it. Sundays are when the really good classified ads are posted (and the open houses, too!). When I looked in our paper this morning, what should I see, but a classified ad for a loft bed, with desk, and wardrobe "in excellent condition" for a mere $80. I had seen lofts listed before for $200-300, but $80??

Scott had set out for church a few minutes previously, so I called him up excitedly. His unexcited response: "A loft bed? Where are we going to put it?" (His usual response to my request for more furniture.) I explained my logical thinking, and he said, "Well, do whatever you think..."

I made myself wait until 8:00 a.m. to call the number (it only seemed fair on a Sunday morning!). I said as sweetly as I could manage, "I am calling about the furniture. Is it still available?" I think the man stiffled a laugh: "Um, yes. You are the first one to ask about it." "Great!" We set up a time for me to come see it after lunch.

I tried to prepare myself for the possibility of hideous or tacky kids' furniture, but really I was pretty prepared to buy anything for that price. :) Scott, on the other hand, went along as the voice of reason.

When we walked into the child's room where the set was, I was so pleasantly surprised. Not only was the furniture sturdy, but it was also the light pine color we have throughout our house. We told the sellers that we would take a minute to talk about it outside. When we got out, I almost shouted: "It's so nice!" Scott, too, couldn't give me a reason why we should not buy it.

We handed the sellers our check, called Scott's dad, and 15 minutes later, piled it into my father-in-law's trailer. Scott and his dad helped me move in the main pieces to Adrianna's room, while we had her rest in the new kid's room.

Scott and Steve left me with a mess of loft bed pieces and furniture strewn everywhere, while they went to look at my new hand-me-down piano (another future story!). I think that might be how I work best. Give me a mess, and I have to clean it up. So I did. I awkwardly pieced together the boards to form the bunk bed (I am sure this is easier with two people!), and tried different arrangements of furniture in the room. By the time I went to get Adrianna up from her rest, I had almost gotten her whole room back into order.

I was so excited to see how she would like it. ...Her first response? "But where's that one that I can hide in??" I hadn't yet put the wardrobe piece into her room. (Scott and Steve bolted before I could make them drag in any more furniture!) Otherwise, I think she liked her new arrangement.The wardrobe still sits in our entry, waiting to find its new home...

As if that wasn't enough adventure for one weekend... Our refrigerator started acting funny on Friday night. I noticed something was off when we went to scoop up ice cream for a guest, and it was easy to scoop. Saturday morning, I suspected more of a problem when I had a cup of milk, and it wasn't really chilled. Scott pulled out our fridge manual, only to find out that we were supposed to be vacuuming out the coils every 3-4 months. Did you all know that?? Well... you can imagine the problem we had: four years of fridge ownership with no vacuuming, and one VERY hairy cat. When we removed the grate, all we saw were masses of grey fur; we couldn't even make out the coils.

After the mass was removed, we figured our problem might be solved. But when we came home six hours later, and saw that our fridge was still at 62.5 degrees, we knew something more was going on. Scott and Steve took things apart, vacuumed, and fiddled last night, and left the unit off overnight. They did the same tonight, repluged it... and I'm praying it's working still in the morning (and from now on!).
A few notes to be grateful for: I am grateful we have an extra refrigerator in the garage, where we could salvage some of our food! I am grateful for the ease of cleaning an empty fridge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies