Strange day

Okay, so still no pictures with this entry, either. I just need to get out the details of my strange day so far.

It all started at about 7:30 a.m., when Scott went to leave for work (45 minutes late), and his car wouldn't start. This is the second morning in a row, but the car seems to be this strange problem where it will randomly start sometimes, and not others. So, it started last night, he moved it into the garage, and figured it would start this morning. It didn't. I told him he could use mine again, and he said he would call his parents on his way to work, and see if they could lend us a car (they have two extras).

Fast forward an hour and a half. Scott's mom pulled up in her extra car, I drove her back to her house (she had an appointment to get to), and Adrianna and I went to music time at the library. Fun times. Adrianna and I then went over to our nearby thrift store. There just happened to be a couch out front (almost identical to the little one we found for Adrianna's room 3 years ago). I have this strange desire to have couches in our kids' rooms, because I find them so perfect for family bonding over Bible stories and kids' books. I pressed Scott about one I saw at the thrift store several months ago for our new kid's room. He politely declined. This time, I called him up, told him it was a mere $10, and almost identical to Adrianna's. He didn't even hesitate. "Sure," was his reply (miracle!). I pay for my new couch, and then the employees tell me I need it to have it picked up in the next two hours. Hmm...

So, I call my ever-wise mother-in-law, wondering if she is done with her appointment. As it turns out, she has not gone yet, because it was at a later time than she thought. She says Steve has their little truck at work, but would it fit in her SUV? I say, "I think so!" She says she will be right over. A parking spot just happens to be open right in front of the couch, in front of the thrift store. Adrianna and I went and stood in the middle of the spot. Ten minutes later, still waiting for my mother-in-law, a car pulled up to park in the spot. I didn't move. They honked! (Um, seemed a little rude to me!) I went up to the driver's window with a smile, and explained how a car was coming to help me with the couch that was right there. They seemed to understand and moved away. (I was still shocked that they would honk at me!)

Scott's mom finally arrived, there just happened to be a kind older gentlemen who arrived a few minutes earlier, who helped me load the couch into the SUV. And we're off, back to my house, to drop off the couch, so Scott's mom can get to her appointment. We manage to get the couch out, push it into the garage, and she dashes off. Adrianna and I grab a little snack and I set out to Spray-&-Wash the entire slip cover of the couch. Right as we are about to leave for the other thrift store (my whole goal for my day was to go there and get Adrianna some new computer games), I realize that I'm supposed to make dinner for a family tonight. Whew! Thank you, God, for reminding me! I make a quick list of things to get at the grocery store next to the thrift store, and set off with Adrianna.

Fast forward another hour... Adrianna and I finish at the second store, and walk out into the pouring rain with our new computer games. We run to the car (not so conveniently parked), and I go to pull out my keys. "Umm.... Adrianna, I can't find my keys." "What are we going to do, Mommy?" "I... umm... Let's go run to the grocery store to get dry." I call my mother-in-law. No answer (still at appointment). I call my father-in-law. "...Do you have your keys for this car?" "Yes, and I was already heading out to pick up lunch. I'll just stop by there." WHEW.

Ring. My mother-in-law calls to say she's done with her appointment and will come over to help us. A few minutes later, Adrianna and I race back out into the rain, jump into her car, and attempt to get warm while waiting for Scott's dad. He arrives, gives us his key, and takes off for lunch. Scott's mom drives us back to our inconveniently located locked car, I use the keys, become more drenched, and search the car feverishly for the keys. Ignition? No. Seat? No. With my other keys? No. No sign. I decide to run back (this time with Adrianna's Snoopy umbrella I snatched from the previously locked car) to the thrift store. "Anyone left any lost keys at the desk?" "Nope." Hmm...

Scott's mom and I continue to perplex over where the keys could be, and she drops Adrianna and me at the grocery store. Shopping in wet clothes and wet shoes turns out to be a little uncomfortable, but we manage, and head back through the sloppy parking lot to our car. After a brief Sonic stop, we head home. We get dry clothes, and I get Adrianna into bed (she falls asleep instantly). After putting away the groceries, measuring the couch, making room in the new kid's room, I excitedly head out to the garage to see if I can shimmy the couch inside by myself. As I go to pick it up, I discover one of the legs is missing.

I call my mother-in-law again. "Not only can I not find your keys to your car, but I wonder if one of my couch legs is in your SUV?"

So strange. Am I losing my mind?! No, the way things are going, I think it must already be lost!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Abel!

Brotherly love

Teaching supplies